05 February 2010

Happy Birthday Kayla Marie! February 5, 2010

In Recognition - My Grandchildren – My Legacy - 
A walk down Memory Lane... 
22 July 2004
 Grandma Paula

I recently made a challenge for some friends to write about someone who had made an influence in their lives and as I kept thinking about this for myself, I came up with a list of people who have impacted my life one way or another. There was everyone from my parents, to the woman who taught me how to swim when my father was stationed at Wright Patterson A.F.B., Ohio, many years ago! lol! There have been so many awesome people in my life, it was hard to narrow it down.

This past month I have had the wonderful opportunity of having my grandchildren stay with me. As I have gotten to know them better, I realize more and more how they are growing into a fine, outstanding young people. They have wonderful imaginations and such a zeal for learning. They are both very compassionate and very sensitive to the needs of others. They do their parents proud.

My granddaughter, Kayla Marie, who turned 11 this past February, is growing so tall she has passed her mother, my eldest daughter, in height. She is slender in her young lady stature and one can see that her beauty will turn many a head as she advances into young womanhood. She has a beautiful smile and is very intelligent. I can remember her father sitting her at the computer with him, before she was walking. Now, she excels in school and has great potential in music and the arts. She is so polite to her grandmother and is so willing to help with anything I ask of her. She even goes out of her way to find things to do that will help around the house, without being asked. Her parents can well be proud of this Princess in waiting. She shared with me that she wants to become a veterinarian. The animals in her care would indeed be lucky, as she would love them all and treat them with the utmost kindness and gentleness as she has done with our Pepper and Gracie, while visiting with us this summer. She longs to return home to her own pooches, Sandy and Molly, whom I sure miss her just as much.

Grandson Zachary Thomas will turn 9 in August. When you look at him, you can see the smile of his ancestors and the wisdom of his youth growing inside his mind, that yearns to learn all that there is to learn. He loves to thumb through books that teach about reptiles, especially snakes. He can tell you the name of every member of the rock group Kiss and can skillfully sing along with all their songs. This love he inherits from his father. For his birthday they are going to see Kiss in concert and he recently informed dad that he wants to go and see Van Halen. A very sensitive young man, he too loves the members of the animal kingdom and wants to become a Herpetologist. He loves to help grandma too, especially around the kitchen. His parents have done well in teaching him versatility in the skills that a man should have. He loves to be involved in sports and a good movie can keep his steady interest, as he soaks up all the knowledge he can.

These are two of the finest, most beautiful young people I have ever known. I may be a little prejudice, seeing, after all, that they are my grandchildren. But, I think that anyone who meets them, would have to agree, they are two remarkable young people who will succeed in all that they set out to do and will be a wonderful asset to the adult world when the time comes. But, for now, we will just watch them absorb the moments of their youth, teaching an old grandma things that she never knew before.

4 comments:

FreebiesnDeals.com said...

You have 2 great looking grandchildren. That is great that they already have their dreams - let's see what they say in 5 years from now..lol. My son is 14 and loves working with cows and wants to own his own farm or work with farm equipment when he gets old enough, that will probably come true. Just wish he would get more motivated about high school and try harder to pass. His first year in high school and he has already failed half his classes and telling him that he won't be able to get his farmer's licences unless he passes - doesn't seem to phase him. Amazing! Anyway, thanks for sharing your story :)

Hey,Hey,Paula said...

Thank you for your response and kind words. I was an interpreter for the Deaf for abt 10 yrs. I sat in school classes and had a hard time staying awake due to the lack of motivation on the part of the teachers. One class I went to in a middle school was awesome. The classroom was decorated with a jungle like atmosphere and there were pets here and there. The kids loved it! It was another world!

Hey,Hey,Paula said...

Just a note; this was written in 2004; Kayla just celebrated her 17th birthday! Happy Birthday Kayla!

kayla said...

this made me cry! i love you!